This document lists the new features and changes made in
each release of Nexus 4. You can access
this document at any time by selecting Help->What’s
New from the Nexus 4 menu.
Nexus 4.8 New Features and changes
- The Nexus Home Page (first introduced in Nexus 4.7.01) brings you the latest news and updates straight from MBS, as well as easy links to helpful resources. Be sure to register on our all-new web site to access more information and to become part of the MBS community.
- Nexus is now integrated with PayPros, our preferred provider for credit card and ACH processing. We will be in touch to demonstrate how you can save money on credit card fees and save time processing electronic payments in Nexus. (X-Charge integration remains functional for clients that wish to continue using it.)
- A single item can now be cancelled from a contract. On the Contract Entry screen Contract Items tab, a Cancel Item button is now available when editing a contract. When pressed, the process is similar to cancelling a contract. To go along with this feature, item grids on the Contract Entry screen and Task Center contain color-coded columns for quantity fulfilled/cancelled. Please contact MBS Technical Support if you need assistance with this valuable new feature.
- Nexus can now import people, property/ownership, services, and contracts from Excel spreadsheets. If you would like to use this feature, please contact MBS for instructions.
- The People->Open Items tab on the Task Center has been changed to display all items a customer has purchased. Color-coded columns for quantity fulfilled/cancelled have been added as well, so that you can determine an item's status at a glance.
- Property Association Type can now be set to "Cancelled" (previously only "Sold" and "Associated" were available). When a contract is cancelled, the Associate Type is now set to "Cancelled" automatically. This makes it more obvious that the property is no longer sold and may be available to sell to someone else.
- Based on common requests, several changes have been made to the printed contract and related reports available from the Contract Entry screen. NOTE: These changes apply only to the standard Nexus contract. If your contract has been customized, it will not change.
- The look and feel of the contract has been improved with shading around headings.
- The Purchaser/Co-purchaser area now includes both addresses and all phone numbers.
- Swapped the Merchandise and Property sections, so the property now prints first.
- The Truth in Lending area has been updated to better reflect the various financing options (regular financing, no financing, revolving credit, and open contracts).
- Added the Down Payment Method & Reference Number in the Summary of Charges section.
- Space has been tightened so that most contracts will fit on one page. A large number of items/properties may still cause the contract to overflow to a second page.
- Vaults are now printed on the Individual Service Report.
- The Receipts Report (Reports->Current Transactions) can now be filtered by the User ID of the person that entered the payment. NOTE: The User ID is tracked starting with this release. It was not recorded on payments in previous versions.
- There is now an option to print "Or Current Resident" on mailing labels.
- New icons have been placed on the Save and More buttons in the toolbar. These make it more obvious that the buttons are enabled or disabled.
- Internal tracking of tax paid for the Sales Tax Payable report has been rewritten. This allows the Pay Sales Tax method on the Departments screen to be changed without affecting past contracts.
- Nexus Express users: Limited contract entry functionality has been added to keep track of items that customers have purchased. Sales reports have been made available as well. Payment processing, trusting, commissions, and other advanced accounting/financial features still require the complete Nexus software. Contact our Technical Support department if you need help with the new features.
- IMAP: Large maps now load faster in Nexus. Some issues with property status color shading have also been fixed.
- Blaze: Scheduled Time, Actual Time, and Stop Date/Time have been added to the Folded Paper cremation card. If any of the dates are empty, underlines are printed, so dates can be hand written on the card.
- MBS Report Writer has been upgraded to version 4.2. See the What's New section in the Report Writer Help file for a description of the new features.
Nexus 4.7 New Features and changes
- Go paperless! Nexus now supports capturing and storing electronic signatures using a signature pad. There is a new Signatures button on the Contract Entry screen Notes/Links/Reports tab. It allows signatures of the Purchaser, Co-Purchaser, and two witnesses to be captured. A PIN can be specified for each or a name can be entered directly. The signatures print on the Terms of Agreement (Inactive Contracts) and the printed Contract. Please contact MBS for more info if you are interested in electronic signatures.
- On the Departments screen Contracts tab, you can now specify the number of copies to print of the Contract Entry Verification and the Agreement Confirmation when a contract is finalized. You can also set these to zero to print no copies.
- Cancelled contracts with a renewal date no longer appear in the contract renewal list by default. The Contract Renewals screen has a new Include Cancelled Contracts checkbox for users that do want to see cancelled contracts in the list.
- By popular demand, the contract number and contract date have been enlarged on the Contract, Contract Entry Verification, Agreement Confirmation, and Terms of Agreement reports.
- MBS Report Writer has been upgraded to version 4.1. See the What's New section in the Report Writer Help file for a description of the new features.
- On the Counselors screen, there is a new option to "Pay Originators and Overrides Simultaneously". Normally, overrides are not paid until originators have been paid in full. This setting allows them to be paid at the same time. Max % of payments should be adjusted so that each gets the desired portion of the payment. Please contact Technical Support if you need assistance with this feature.
- When late charges are enabled, Nexus accrues late charges each morning when the first user enters the system. Similarly, when Nexus is set up to automatically update IMAP, this map is updated when the first user starts Nexus. Both of these processes now run in the background, reducing Nexus startup time and allowing the user to continue working. A progress bar appears in the taskbar at the bottom of the Nexus window while these processes run.
- The Find Contract screen has been streamlined. There are no longer separate tabs and Contract Number appears at the top of the screen as the default search field.
- A new field has been added on the Contract Entry screen Financials tab entitled "No Interest for XX Periods". When an entry is made in this field, no interest is charged during the specified period.
- Originator counselors and overrides and can now be printed and accepted separately on the Commissions Due this Period report. This allows Nexus to accurately track commission when overrides are paid on a different schedule than other sales counselors.
- A new Contract Number field has been added to the Commission Adjust Reserve screen. When the adjustment is saved, the contract number is recorded and appears on the Counselor Reserve report. If no contract number is entered, "RESVADJ" is saved as the contract number on the transaction behind the scenes (which is what it has always done.)
- DeedIt has been modified to work without a contract number, so it will function with
Nexus Express or in cases where a contract has not been entered into Nexus. As a result, the process for entering deeds has changed somewhat, as described below. Please contact Technical Support if you need assistance with these changes:
- There is no contract number entered in the header anymore.
- The property grid now functions completely different:
- Properties aren’t automatically listed (because there isn’t a contract
- Hit the “ADD” button to add a property to the property grid.
- A new “Find” dialog appears. Enter criteria and view the matching
properties in the bottom.
- Select the checkbox of any of the properties you want added to the grid.
- Hit the OK button and the find form closes and the selected properties
are added to the property grid.
- If you check a property that already existed, it’s smart enough not to add
- All properties must be of the same property type.
- All properties must be assigned to the Dept indicated in the header.
- Once you add the first property to the property grid, the Owners will be filled in. If the selected property had Deed1 and Deed2 filled in, it will use that as the default. Otherwise, it will see if the property record
has a contract number listed, and if so, it uses the contract purchaser and co-purchaser as the default.
- Properties from multiple contracts may be mixed on a deed
- TRAC$ Enhancements
- A new field entitled "Other Information" has been added to the first tab of the TRAC$ Accounts screen.
- The order of TRAC$ Notes has been changed to show the most recent note first.
- Contract Co-Purchaser Name has been added to the TRAC$ Accounts screen.
- The speed of TRAC$ mail-merge and reports has been greatly enhanced when dealing with a large amount of data.
Nexus 4.6 New Features and changes
- The Nexus 4 Help file is now available. It can be opened from the ? on the toolbar, the Help menu, or by pressing F1.
- Several improvements were made to the Contract Entry process:
- The Contract Entry Verification, Agreement Confirmation, and Terms of Agreement reports were rewritten to look consistent with the printed Contract.
- The button to print a contract has been moved to the Notes/Links/Reports tab. Also, you can now reprint the Contract Entry Verification and Agreement Confirmation from that tab after a contract has been finalized.
- The process for entering pre-existing contracts has been streamlined and simplified to a single screen.
- The following fields are now saved for Inactive and Finalized contracts: Down Payment Method, Reference Number, Down Payment GL Code, Do Not Process, Discount GL Code. Before, they had to be re-entered when finalizing a previously entered contract.
- Starting in this release, when packages are added to a contract, Nexus will record the package on each item that was sold. MBS Report Writer can be used to track package sales. NOTE: This is only for contracts entered in Nexus 4.6 or later. It is not possible for us to record the package ID for previously entered contracts.
- Item Discounts have been added to Nexus:
- This allows the user to enter a discount for individual items during contract entry on the Contract Item screen. Previously, discounts could be entered for the entire contract or as a separate negative line item.
- The Sale Item Maintenance screen contains fields to automatically calculate an item discount on pre-need items. There are also options for the item discount to reduce the trust liability, commission earned, and sales tax.
- The Sales Category G/L Linkage screen includes a new line for Item Discounts. There is also an Item Discount GL Code on the Contract Item screen, so discounts can be routed to different accounts when necessary.
- Item Discount has been added to the Sales Reports (and a few others). Sales Reports now show the price before and after the Transfer Allowance and Item Discount have been subtracted.
- Automatic numbering as been added to Services and Customer Service Requests. The Service Reference Number field has been expanded to 10 characters to better accomodate this feature. Autonumbering is configured on the Company Setup and Departments screens.
- The Links feature of the Contract Entry screen has been added to the Personal Information, Service Entry, and Property Inventory screens. Each screen also shows the related links from the other screens.
- For example, the Personal Information screen includes links for that person, but it also includes links from contracts, property, and services associated with that person. The intent is that a link should only have to be added once, so if a link has already been added to a contract, it does not also need to be added to the person. It will be visible and can be opened right from the Personal Information screen.
- Links can be viewed and opened from any of the screens, but only links directly associated with the screen you are viewing can be changed. For example, on the Personal Information screen, you can add/edit/delete links associated with that person, but you can not make any changes to the contract links. Those have to be changed on the Contract Entry screen.
- Besides the Contract Entry, Personal Information, Service Entry, and Property Inventory screens, links can be opened on the Task Center for all four types. The Detailed Inquiry also includes contract links.
- Payments that are reversed before being accepted on a Receipts report are now referred to as "voided" transactions.
- Previously, we could not distinguish between payments that were reversed before and after being accepted, and deposit totals on reprinted reports may not have matched the original deposit.
- On the Receipts report, voided payments display *Voided* where we displayed *Reversed* before. They are excluded from the deposit total and have a separate total where we had the Reversals total before. Standard (accepted) reversals appear on reprinted reports as they did on the original report, no “reversed” note and they are included in the totals.
- The same behavior on the Adjustments report. Voided reversals display *Voided* and are excluded from other totals.
- An option has been added to the Transaction History to Exclude Voided Transactions.
- A new checkbox has been added to the Contract Entry screen to Suppress Late Finance Charges. Previously, the Suppress Late Charges box controlled both late charges and late finance charges. They can now be suppressed independently.
- The Commissions Due this Period report is no longer printed or accepted on the Period Close. Several of our clients have expressed that they don't want the report to be printed/accepted, because the accounting period may close in the middle of a commission period, and the amount to pay counselors is no longer on a single report. This commission report is now printed and accepted independently of the Period Close.
- A new checkbox has been added to the Counselors Screen: Excludes Incremental/Residual Immediate Trust Allocations. When checked, allocations to Incremental and Residual Immediate trusts will be subtracted from the payment before commission allocations are calculated.
- The Earnings Dispersal Reversal has been updated for improved performance. In addition, the records for the dispersal being reversed are now deleted (rather than creating new reversal records). This also allows more than the latest dispersal to be reversed. When one dispersal is reversed, the previous dispersal then becomes available for reversal.
- A new utility has been added to Nexus to quickly adjust price/cost on multiple items (Maintenance->Sales->Adjust Item Prices/Costs). Contact Technical Support if you need help using this new feature.
- To improve security, the Passwords screen and report are no longer accessible from the Admin->Security menu. If a password is lost, an Admin should go into the Users screen and enter a temporary password. The user will log in with that password and will be prompted to enter a new one.
- Nexus 4.6 includes improved error reporting to help us track down bugs.
- The TRAC$ Account Review report and Mail-Merge Letters can now be filtered by the number of days a contract is past due. This is the number of days past due, not delinquent, so it does not take grace days into account. On these screens, you will now see a filter for Days Past Due. You can enter 31 to 60 days, 61 to 90 days, or any range you want. To show >90 days, leave the second field blank (i.e. 91 to 0 days). That will pick up anything greater than the days you enter in the first field.
- Several new date tags were added to Blaze for use on the Cremation Certificate.
- Owner phone number tags were added to the word processor for DeedIt!
- "Data groups" have been reorganized in MBS Report Writer to provide better discovery for users. If some groups/tables are not showing up in your list, please contact our Technical Support department to help you add them.
Nexus 4.5.04 New Features and changes
- Put your Nexus data on the web and increase sales! MBS
has teamed up with webCemeteries.com to provide an instant web site for
your burial data. Select Tasks->Update webCemeteries from the Nexus
menu or click here to learn more.
- Nexus and X-Charge now support multiple ACH accounts. This allows a separate bank account for each company in Nexus. Contact X-Charge to upgrade to the latest version of their software and to set up the new accounts. If using multiple accounts, the X-Charge merchant ID should be entered on the Electronic Merchant Info screen in Nexus (Maintenance->Electronic Payment Merchant Information on the Nexus menu). If you prefer to continue using a single ACH account, no changes are required. NOTE: The company number is no longer submitted to X-Charge as part of the customer name. It is now included with the Reference ID (along with the contract number), but that functionality requires the latest version of X-Charge. If you continue to use a single ACH and require the company number to be visible on the ACH web site, please upgrade to the latest version of X-Charge.
- MBS Report Writer has been upgraded to version 3.3. This release contains numerous new features and fixes. Here are some of the highlights:
- Formula Editor - The new Formula Editor allows you to create your own formulas without using the Advanced Report Designer or customizing the data dictionary.
- Show Percentage of Total - The new Show percentage of total option in the Format page of the Field Properties dialog automatically adds a new column to the report showing the percentage that the field is of the subtotal in detail lines, of the next level of grouping in subgroup footers, and of the grand total for group footers.
- Emailing Reports - Previous versions create a report as a PDF file when emailing the report to someone. You can now specify the type of file used as an attachment.
Nexus 4.5.03 New Features and changes
- You can now control who can finalize a contract. In Control Security Permissions, there is a "Finalize Contract" option for Contract Entry. It will be enabled by default. When disabled, the user will not be given the option to finalize the contract. Rather it will automatically save as Inactive and display the Terms and Conditions report.
Nexus 4.5.01 New Features and changes
- Amounts paid in advance can now be excluded from Statements on a per-contract basis. The Exclude checkbox on the Statements screen applies to all contracts, but now users can make the setting on individual contracts. The new “Exclude Amounts Paid in Advance from Statements” checkbox is available on the Contract Entry and Payment Entry screens.
- The Next Payment Due Date has been added to the Detailed Inquiry screen. If the contract is past due, then it will display the date the payment should have been paid.
- A "Post Cancellation in Current Period" checkbox has been added to the cancellation screen. It is checked by default. User entering cancelled pre-existing contracts for historical purposes can uncheck this box to keep those contracts from affecting the next period close.
- Social Security Number appears on the Account Summary, Trust Earnings Dispersal Detail, and Trust Withdrawal reports. An option to suppress the SSN has been added to all three reports.
- On the Personal Information screen, the Suffix, Salutation, Branch of Service, and Era of Service fields are no longer restricted. The pick lists are still available, but the user is no longer required to use a value from the pick list. Other values can be entered into the field and will be accepted by Nexus.
Nexus 4.5 New Features and changes
- IMAP has been upgraded and
is now fully integrated with Nexus. You can now view maps, find
locations, get information on spaces, and print locators without leaving Nexus.
IMAP also still has a separate component and has been upgraded to take
advantage of the latest technology from MapInfo. Contact MBS to get your
- Nexus is now integrated
with iiTOPs to streamline your memorial ordering process. iiTOPs
stands for interactive internet Total Order Processing system. iiTOPs is a
web-based office productivity computer application for retailers working
directly with Memorial Manufacturers or Producers. The program manages the
user’s in-house administrative tasks to process and track orders
efficiently. Orders are transmitted clearly and completely, with the ability
to attach supporting documents as needed via Email. More
information on iiTOPs can be found an
- Property can now be
reserved in Nexus until a specified date. This can be done on the Property
Inventory screen on the Contracts/Reservations tab. Add a record just as you
would if selling or associating the property with a contract, except you can
now pick "Reserved" from the association type picklist. You can also enter a
Reservation Expiration Date. Leaving that date blank means the reservation
does not expire. Use the Reserved For field to enter who the property is
reserved for. Reservations are transferred to IMAP when the map is updated.
- There is a new checkbox
in the IMAP section of the Departments screen. When checked, IMAP will be
updated automatically each day when the first user logs in, right after late
charges are processed.
- A new "Disinterment
Service" field has been added to the Service Entry screen. This is to make
it easy to determine (both visually and programmatically) that a previously
entered burial service has been disinterred. Simply put, if the Disinterment
Service field contains a value, the burial is considered disinterred. Nexus
will attempt to populate this field automatically when a disinterment is
entered to provide a cross-reference to the original interment, but it can
also be entered manually.
- A new Contract Item
field has been added to the Contract Entry screen Property tab. This allows
the user to easily see which line item a property is associated with. Also,
when adding property on the Property tab (as opposed to selecting property
when a property item is sold), it is not automatically linked with a line
item. This new field gives the user the opportunity to do that. It is only
available on the Contract Entry screen because it requires the Contract
Items tab to function. It can be changed on new and existing contracts.
- You can now reprint a
payment/allowance receipt from the Detailed Inquiry screen.
- The term "Deferred
Payment Price" has been changed to "Total Sale Price" to better comply with
the latest Truth in Lending requirements.
- The full liability of
the Tax Recovery fund is now canceled for full and partial cancellations
(that was already happening for C3 cancellations). The amount paid on the
Tax Recovery fund at the time of cancellation is now sent to Cancellation
Income. This change makes it possible for users to balance the Tax Recovery
GL accounts against the Sales Tax Payable report.
- When entering a Customer
Service Request, the Property Location will be automatically populated with
the Deceased's burial location after the Deceased PIN is entered.
- The following changes
were made to the Blaze cremation module:
- Cremation Entry
- Two new
fields have been added; Permit Number and Where Issued.
- Reporting is on
its own tab.
- A new
“Index Card” option exists. This is designed to be a 3x5 index card
printed on 3-up paper. It asks for the number of remaining cards on
the sheet and defaults to 3. The concept is that it prints on the
last card left on the page. If the sheet is full and there are 3
cards, it prints on the bottom one. The customer can then tear it
off and use that same sheet again the next time, but entering “2” as
the number remaining. 2.
- Cremation Reports:
- A new
Cremation Reports menu option exists
Operation report has been removed from Services Report menu option
and moved to the Cremation Reports menu option
- A new
Cremation Register report exists.
NEXUs 4.4 New Features and changes
- Nexus can now assign
contract numbers automatically to new contracts. This is set up on the
Company Setup and Department screens. Please contact Technical Support if
you need assistance setting this up.
- The Task Center features a
new List icon/button that allows you to quickly and easily cross-reference
information. For example, suppose you are viewing a customer on the
People page and that customer is associated with contract 12345, which you can
see on the Contracts tab in the bottom portion of the Task Center. If you
click on the List Contract icon/button, the Task Center will change to the
Contracts page with contract 12345 listed at the top and everything associated
with it at the bottom. You can now cross-reference data from any page
with a single click. Give it a try!
- The Trust Fund Status
Report and Funding Account Status Report can now be run as of a specified
- The Service Time field
on the Service Entry screen is now entered as AM/PM rather than as 24-hour
- You can now display the
Property Type as part of the property description in all areas of Nexus.
This is done on the Property Styles screen. Please contact Technical
Support if you need assistance setting this up.
- The Property Status
Report now includes cost and price information. This requires some
setup on the Property Types screen. Please contact Technical Support
- Cell Phone has been
added to the Personal Information screen.
- The Detailed Inquiry now
includes electronic payment information. The overall format of this
screen has been improved, and you can now resize it to make more information
- On the Personal
Information screen, Salutation and Suffix are now mixed-case in the pick
list, but you can continue to enter them as upper-case if you wish.
"Mr. & Mrs." has been added to the list.
- Manufacturer Product
Code and Manufacturer Part Number have been added to the Sales Items screen
in the Inventory Status section.
- A new field has been
added to the Departments screen Commissions tab: "Defer Commissions if Down
Payment is Less than XXX%". If a counselor has been set up as "Fully Paid on
Entry" and the down payment is less than the specified % of the contract,
the counselor will not be fully paid, but will be paid according to the
normal deferred rules as payments come in. The same applies to overrides
fully paid on entry.
Nexus 4.3 New Features and changes
- Put your Nexus data on the web and increase sales! MBS
has teamed up with webCemeteries.com to provide an instant web site for
your burial data. Select Tasks->Update webCemeteries from the Nexus
menu or click here
to learn more.
- Nexus is now integrated with X-Charge to provide credit
card and ACH processing. You can
perform manual card swipes, such as for down payments, or process recurring
payments automatically. It’s all
done securely right inside of Nexus and at competitive rates. Click here
to get started.
- MBS Report Writer has been upgraded to version
3.2. See the Report Writer Help
file to find out what’s new.
- A new Service (Interment) Card is available from the menu
- When copying a contract with property, you are now given
the option to copy and associate the property with the new contract. When renewing a contract with property,
the property is copied automatically.
- On the Contract Entry screen and the Task Center, the
Contract Notes tab font will turn red.
This will let the user know at a glance if there are any notes for
Nexus 4.2 New Features and changes
- A Contracts tab has been added to the Property
Inventory screen. This allows the
user to quickly enter property ownership info and change the status to
“sold” without having to enter a contract into Nexus. Any contract number can be entered, even
if it does not exist in Nexus. It
can also be left blank.
- A Notes tab has also been added to the Property
Inventory screen for entering miscellaneous information related to the
- Trust allocations are now available for withdrawal
immediately after payments/transactions are entered. You no longer have to
perform a trust earnings dispersal to make the trust principal available
for withdrawal. Due to this change,
the “In Transit” column has been removed from the Trust Fund Status
- A new Property Card report has been added to the
Property Reports screen.
- Maiden Name is now included when the full name is
displayed in Nexus and on reports.
- You can now change an active contract from Monthly
installments to Bank Draft and vice-versa. You can only change between
these two values. Other payment plans cannot be edited.
- Using the Amortized interest method, additional
interest is no longer allocated from payments made in advance. The
Repayment Schedule is followed and only the amount of interest due at the
time the payment is made is allocated.
- Contracts can now be “suspended". This does the following:
o Changes the status to
"SP" and updates the Status Change Date.
o Removes the contract from the
Active Accounts Receivable Report, Aged Trial Balance, and other reports that
show active contracts.
o It does not affect the
financials on the contract, nor does it create a GL entry for the amount
o It can create a commission
chargeback just like a cancellation.
o Payments and other processes
CAN continue to be entered on a suspended contract.
o The Contract Status report
now includes an option to print Suspended Contracts.
o The contract can be
reactivated in the future.
o To suspend a contract:
1. Press the Cancel button on
the Contract Entry screen.
2. Select "Suspend Contract"
as the Cancellation Code.
3. Check "Generate
Chargebacks" if you want to do so.
4. Press the Cancel Contract
o To reactivate a contract,
press the AC button next to the "SP" contract status field on the
Contract Entry form. The button is only visible on suspended contracts.
Nexus 4.1 New Features and changes
section describes the new features and changes included in Nexus 4.1 and
previous minor releases since Nexus 4.0.
- Nexus now has the ability to print a contract. A new Contract button is available on
the Header tab of the Contract Entry screen to print the contract. It can be printed before the contract is
saved or after it has been finalized.
This will allow the customer to review and sign the contract before
it is finalized in Nexus. MBS can
customize this report for you if the layout or legalese needs to be
- The item status screen now allows the status to be
changed for multiple items from one screen. The user can choose which items to apply
the status to. The quantity to
change and the actual cost are editable for each item directly in the
grid. By default, all unfulfilled
items are automatically selected.
- You can now add a service to the selected property on
the Contract Entry screen. The
Service PIN is pre-filled with the property Reserved For field, if
available. If not, the Contract
Beneficiary is used. The Contract
Number, Department, and Property Location are also pre-filled on the
- Partial down payments can now be entered at contract
entry. This allows the user to set
up payment terms according to the expected down payment, even if the
customer does not have the entire down payment at that time.
o A new Down Payment Received
field is on Contract Entry Financials tab.
It defaults to the full down payment amount, but the user can enter a
o If the down payment is not
processed, then Down Payment Received will be zero.
o If "Multiple" is
chosen as the Down Payment Method, the payments entered must add up to the Down
Payment Received, rather than the full Down Payment as they did before.
o Payments entered on the
Payment Entry screen will be processed as down payments until the down payment
is paid in full. The payment does not
have to match the exact amount due, and multiple smaller payments can be
entered. All payments will go towards
the down payment until the entire amount is received, then they will be
processed as regular payments.
o In the event the user enters
a payment that exceeds the down payment due, it will be automatically split
into two transactions: a down payment and a regular payment. For example, if $75 down payment is due and
the user enters a $100 payment, Nexus will process it as a $75 down payment and
a $25 regular payment.
o The Down Payment Received
field always shows the current amount received, not the original amount entered
into that field at contract entry. This
allows the user to easily see how much of the down payment has been paid to
o If a down payment or part of
it is reversed, the amount is subtracted from Down Payment Received. Future payments will go towards the down
payment first following the rules above.
o The Contract Entry screen has
been enlarged to fit the new Down Payment Received field, and the layout was
improved for the rest of the screen.
- A Late Finance Charge feature has been added to Nexus,
that charges a percentage of the remaining contract balance when a payment
is late (normal late charges can charge a percentage of the payment
amount). It co-exists with the
existing late charges system, and both can be used. On the Departments
screen, there are two new fields in the Late Charges section:
o Finance Charge Grace Period:
Enter the number of grace days after a payment is due before the late finance
charge is assessed. This works the same
way as the normal late charge grace period, but can be a different number of
o Percentage of Balance: This
is the percentage of remaining contract balance to charge when the payment is
late. Enter a percentage here to
"turn on" Late Finance Charges.
Enter it as a decimal, same as the normal late charge percentage.
o Late Finance Charges are
added to Fund 12 and routed to the GL through that fund.
o Record Type "2" is
used for Late Finance Charges.
o Support for Late Finance
Charges has been added to payment processing. Late Finance Charges are paid
right after normal Late Charges, and before everything else.
o There is a separate Late
Finance Charge Allowance that can be used to forgive Late Finance Charges (Fund
12) exclusively. This also uses Record
- The Payment Reversal routine has been rewritten with
o You can now specify the date
and reason/reference number of the reversal.
o Reversal records are always
created, even if the payment has not been accepted on the Receipts Report.
o The Receipts Report now
displays *Reversed* in the Ref. # field for reversed transactions. There is a new subtotal for Reversed
transactions, which is subtracted from the Deposit total.
o For Early Payoffs, the
"E" record no longer appears on the Payment Reversal screen. As was done before, both the "E"
and "P" records will be reversed when the Early Payoff record is
- The Contract Cancellation
routine has been rewritten, and the following changes were made:
- You can now specify the cancellation date. It defaults to the current system date.
- You can now specify whether a cancellation is Full or Partial at
the time of cancellation (not applicable for C3 cancellations). It defaults to the Department setting.
- A GL Account Code (formerly “Transaction Code”) can now be
used. This replaces the Debit
Account on the Sales Category Cancellation Line. It uses the one account for all
categories. To add an account,
enter a new record on the GL Accounts Codes screen, specifying “X” as the
- A short Reason/Reference can be entered. This shows up on the Transaction
History and Detailed Inquiry.
- Generate Commission Chargebacks is now a checkbox on the screen
instead of a separate prompt (not applicable for C3 cancellations).
- Several changes were made behind the scenes to the data generated
for cancellations. Please contact
Technical Support if you have any questions regarding these.
- The Property Status report has been added to Property
Reports to go along with the new property inventory features in Nexus 4.
- The Comparative Sales Summary is no longer a required
report and can be skipped over on the Period Close. It is not necessary for it to run for
users that don't want it.
- Price and Contract Date have been added to the
Fulfilled and Unfulfilled Items reports.
- The Contract Summary Audit Report was rewritten and now
includes an option to Exclude Fulfilled Contracts. When checked, contracts that have been
completely fulfilled and withdrawn before the audit period no longer
appear on the report, making the report much smaller than before.
- The Aged Trial Balance report now includes columns for
“Amount Due within 1 Year” and “Amount Due after 1 Year”.
- Cremation labels are now editable from Admin->Report
Manager, so users can tweak them as needed.
- The Default Interest Method can now be entered on the
Departments screen where Early Payoff Method used to be. This will cause new contracts to default
to the interest method entered.
- Rule of 78’s is no longer used to calculate payoffs for
Amortized contracts. The new payoff
calculation now matches the Repayment Schedule, whereas Rule of 78’s was
slightly higher or lower.
- On the department screen, the Interest Rebated at 100%
for XXX days has been expanded to 6 digits.
- Changed terminology from "Transaction Code"
to "GL Account Code", or "GL Code"for short.
- The Property Builder now includes the ability to
specify Property Type. This sets
the Property Type on each individual property that is added, and it should
only be used when it is different from the Property Type set on the
Property Code (Garden/Building).
- DeedIt!: Added a new field for Recording Book Number.
- During the commission rewrite for Nexus 4, several
fields were changed from decimal representations to percents. To make this clearer to the end user,
all fields entered as a percentage now have the % sign next to them.
4 now contains new "Vista-style" icons, giving it a more modern look.
- Various performance enhancements were made since the
initial 4.0 release.
Nexus 4.0 New
This section lists the new features available in the initial
release of Nexus 4. For a detailed explanation of new features, please
watch the training videos contained on the Nexus 4 installation CD. To
watch these videos, insert the installation CD. From the auto run screen,
click on the “what’s new” button and then choose a video to watch.
We really wanted users to see something new, but familiar,
when opening Nexus 4.0 for the first time. We think we’ve accomplished
that with the all-new Task Center.
- It is open all the time,
like Outlook, for quick/easy access.
- We use new icons with a
3D Windows XP look. These are used throughout the system.
There is also full support for Windows XP Themes. If you’re going to
be looking at Nexus all day, hopefully, this will make it a little easier.
- Grid features:
- Column locking: You can
lock a column by right-clicking on the vertical line between columns in
the column header. This will prevent columns to the left of that
line from scrolling.
- You can automatically
resize columns to by double-clicking on the vertical line between
columns. Double-click on the upper left corner of the grid to resize all
- Row highlighting is now
built in to the latest version of Visual FoxPro (9.0), so grids (Task
Center lists) provide quicker response than in Nexus XP.
- New Tabs:
- There is a new
Information tab for most sections of the Task Center. This allows
the user to see key information without having to open a separate form.
- We also added a
Contract Items tab so that the user can quickly see which items were sold
on a contract.
- There is a new Task Bar
at the bottom of the screen for switching between open forms. Since
the Task Center is always open, we needed an easy way for users to get
back to other open windows, but it may become your usual method for
switching between all windows.
We are now taking advantage of new reporting features in
Visual FoxPro 9.0. We also redesigned all of the report screens to be
more user-friendly and consistent.
- All of the report
screens were rewritten. Most of the report forms remain unchanged, except
for areas where we added new features, such as the commission reports.
- We added a calendar
control for date fields on the report screens and other parts of
- The new Report Preview
includes the following features:
- More zoom levels.
You can now actually see the Contract Summary Audit report on screen!
- You can search for text
on a report. This is useful if you’re looking for a specific
amount, contract number, or anything else on the report.
- You can select which
page numbers to print when printing from the preview.
- Reports can be
“chained”, so the Receipts Report prints the detail and the summary in one
- The Accept button is a
little different than before, and a Reject option is displayed. The
Statements screen now includes this Accept option instead of automatically
updating the last statement date.
- Reports can now be
exported to multiple formats, including PDF, Word, and Excel.
This has been a long-requested feature, and was one of the
first things we developed for 4.0.
- You can enter an NSF Fee
on the payment entry screen. Choose NSF Fee as the record type and
enter it as a positive amount. It will increase the contract balance
and the balance for Fund 10.
- Subsequent payments will
go to NSF first before paying anything else.
- You can also enter an
NSF allowance to forgive the NSF fee.
- An NSF Fee can be
assessed automatically when reversing a payment. There is a checkbox
and an amount field on the payment reversal screen for this.
- A default NSF amount can
be entered on the Department screen. It’s at the bottom of the
Item Status Changes
- The behavior for item
status changes is now set up on the Item Status Codes screen. For
example, in Nexus XP, you set up the code that means “fulfilled” on the
Sales Item maintenance screen for each item. In Nexus 4.0, you set
this up for each status code, which is easier and makes more sense.
- This allows you to
trigger an action on multiple codes. For example, withdrawal can occur at
time of delivery, storage, and order. In Nexus 3.x, you could only
pick one status code for this.
- Deferred Sales/Cost is
still optional on each item.
The property system in Nexus has been redesigned to include
the full property inventory, including available property.
- The “Property Explorer”
is on the Task Center and other forms where you’re trying to locate
- The Explore tab
provides a hierarchical tree view of the property, and the total property
sold, occupied, and available
- Expanding the tree or
double-clicking on a section moves down the hierarchy and displays the
- The Add button will
open the Property Maintenance screen in Add mode with the selected levels
- The Edit button is only
enabled when you’ve selected an individual space/depth.
- The Refresh button can
be used when changes are made to the inventory.
- The List Property
button will display all properties in the selected level on the List tab.
- The List tab provides
more detailed information about each property listed, including the
status of each. The Task Center adds tasks and other data
associated with the property.
- The Property Maintenance
screen is very simple and is used to enter limited property information.
- The Property tab on the
Contract Entry screen has been changed.
- Fields were rearranged
and grouped in a more consistent manner.
- Adding property
displays the Property Explorer. The whole process of adding and
removing property is similar to before, but a lot easier to maintain
behind the scenes.
- You can now “associate”
property with a contract instead of selling it. This allows you to
put a single piece of property on more than one contract for reference
purposes. Change the Association Type to “A” to do this.
- Specifying property at
Service Entry has been changed as well. You now enter the property
at the same time as the rest of service entry, instead of saving the
record then entering the location afterwards.
- Property Labels are now
specified for each Property (Garden) Code instead of at the
department. This allows more flexibility and prevents the “Either”
labels from showing up everywhere as they did in Nexus XP.
- Property Styles: We
opened up the way property can be displayed in Nexus and DeedIt. We
will ship Nexus 4.0 with several styles, but you can also create your
- The Property Builder
helps users get their property inventory into Nexus. This will be
useful for clients that have a consistent naming/numbering scheme for
- There is also a utility
to import property from IMAP. If you’re an IMAP user, this is the
easiest way to get your available property inventory into Nexus.
The commissions system was redesigned and rewritten from the
ground up. Commission modifiers can now be used to modify commissions
based on down payment amount, contract terms, etc. Updating commission
schedules is also much easier. Please watch the commission video for an
explanation of these changes.
DeedIt! was completely rewritten as well. Version 4.0
makes use of our built-in word processor, rather than Crystal Reports.
This allows the user to modify deeds and even create their